Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Store bought or homemade?

It started with a small financial crisis. Or rather, a not so small financial crisis. I had planned to go to Michael's to get some gift wrap, and odds & ends to finish my gifts for coworkers. However, a quick check of the bank account showed that money that should have been available had gone elsewhere. And no paychecks due until it would be too late. So I was on my own.

There are those who take pride in their frugality, offering their own creations instead of those from the store. And some do make nice quality items. I downloaded & printed templates for gift bags & tags. For the nursing staff I had planned a box of fancy candies or cookies. These are now several batches of home baked chocolate chip cookies waiting to bring in tomorrow. But was it really worth it?

The time & effort spent could have better gone to something else. The gift bags turned out looking quite homemade (and not in the good sense). The cookies taste good, but are quite plain looking. On the other hand, I had no choice - make it, or do without. My coworkers became quite excited about how "cute & adorable" those little bags were. The nursing staff will probably appreciate whatever you bring.

In the final analysis, homemade worked out, but I don't think I would do it again if I had the choice.

(I wanted to post pictures, but my phone & computer didn't quite communicate the way they should have. That will be a project for my son-in-law, hopefully next week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment